Thursday 18 April 2013

Read for my School Superstars


Last term, Year 5 and 6 were involved in a national reading initiative aimed at developing their reading skills and fostering their love of reading.
Schools across the country were competing against each other for a range of awards (books were on offer for those schools who reached the top 25) and two girls who did their utmost for our school were Lily Constanti and Florrie Hulbert. The girls read a staggering 165 books between them. This is what the girls thought about the initiative…..
“I really enjoyed it because wherever I verified a book I felt proud that I had read another one. It felt nice to have a reading target instead of just reading for the sake of it. I felt that whenever I went onto www.readformyschool.com I was so immersed in reading from each category that I didn`t realise that my ` computer time` was over and it was my brother`s turn. When our school got on the leader board (only for a little while) I felt like having a party!”
Florrie Hulbert(NS)
“Read For My School made me become more engrossed in my reading because I was determined to get our school into the top twenty five leader board ( which we were for about 5 minutes). I enjoyed challenging myself to read as many books as possible. I also tried to read a variety of books which was a target I think I had achieved. I always felt delighted when I finally completed a book. My favourite online book was: Cinderella: The Real Story.”
Lily Constanti (NS)