Friday 22 July 2011

A Headteacher’s Reflections on Two Terms at Sir Robert Hitcham’s CEVAP School

As the first two terms of my Headship at Sir Robert Hitcham’s CEVAP School draws to a close, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the recent past. So much has happened in a short space of time that it is difficult to reconcile that I haven’t been your Headteacher for a year yet! I have been made to feel so welcome by the children, staff, governors and families of the school and also by the churches in the town and the local community.

I have been spending the time since my appointment familiarising myself with our wonderful school, recognising the excellence, and planning for the future. There have been some changes which you may have seen/experienced, for example, the new reporting formats which have been well received by the vast majority of families, the change in the newsletter format and the change of seating arrangements in the hall. There has been much discussion with staff about learning and behaviour which has led to an amended Behaviour Policy which we hope to be able to publish in September. Finally the Governors and I, amongst many other things, have been working with Suffolk County Council to solve the issue of the Crossing Patrol which hopefully we will have in place for September, if there are applicants for the position.

The parent questionnaire responses (from Reception, Year 2, 4 & 6) have been extremely useful in the future planning for the school and we are very grateful for the time taken by families to share their thoughts. Many of your responses have already been shared with staff and to that end some of the changes which have occurred already have been initiated through your involvement.

During the past two terms I have been pleased to meet so many families and to get to know your children, who are wonderful. They have really helped me to settle in to our school.

I do hope that you have a lovely summer break.

Mrs H Picton
Headteacher